Using online materials for your homework or at school is a way to improve all your skills in English, to learn something new and to use technology.
Try out some of these tasks and then talk about them in class!!!!!
For each activity write down at least 3 words you have learnt while working on the task, you'll have to explain what they mean and use them once you're back to school.
MATT SIMONS - WE CAN DO BETTER
Listen to the song, fill in the gaps in your worksheet and answer these questions
Video with subtitles
1. What is this song about?
2. Which part/sentence do you prefer? Why?
3. What is the message of the song?
4. Write three words you’ve learnt
5. Underline the sentences about past/present and future in different colours
GOOD NIGHT STORIES FOR REBEL GIRLS
Good Night Stories for Rebel Girls" is a children's book packed with 100 bedtime stories about the life of 100 extraordinary women from the past and the present, illustrated by 100 female artists from all over the world.
HE TOOK SOMEONE ELSE’S IDEA AND AMERICA ATE IT UP
What's the key attitude to success according to Mr Kroc?
Watch the trailer and comment on the story of the 'founder'of McDonald's
Now read about McDonald's history in their official website, can you spot any differences?
LEARN ONLINE - FUTURE LEARN
PRESIDENT TRUMP DAVOS SPEECH:
'AMERICA FIRST POLICY IS NOT AMERICA ALONE'
Read the BBC article and watch President Trump's speech at the World Economic Forum in Davos
TRUMP : THE STATE OF THE UNION SPEECH
THE TEST BY Angelica Gibbs
Read the short story, surf the net and play the game
BRIDGE THE GENDER GAP
Salary reviews, knowing your rights and political change are all key factors to bridge the gender gap. Read the
articles and watch the videos to learn more
WOMEN WHO HAVE SUCCEEDED
GLOBAL GENDER GAP REPORT
What are human rights? Watch the videos before starting the activities of the webquest
WEB QUEST: ROBERT KENNEDY and HUMAN RIGHTS
ROBERT KENNEDY Question 1 http://rfkhumanrights.org/robert-f-kennedy/
a. Who is Robert F. Kennedy? Write down some key information about his family and education?
b. b. Choose 5 key dates and fill in the time line
c. c.Write two sentences about his ‘vision’, his ideas
d. d. Watch and listen to the speech he delivered on April 6th, 1968 and -explain in which occasion he gave it; -sum up his main ideas
Question 2 http://rfkhumanrights.org/who-we-are/
a. a. What is Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights? Where is it based and what is its purpose?
Question 3 http://rfkhumanrights.org/what-we-do/
a. a. Where do they operate?
b. b. What issues are they concerned about?
c. c. Can you name some recent news or events?
EXTRA QUESTION. Read and translate this sentence by Robert Kennedy. Do you agree? Why?/Why not?
“Every time we turn our heads the other way when we see the law flouted; when we tolerate what we know to be wrong; when we close our eyes and ears to the corrupt because we are too busy, or too frightened; when we fail to speak up and speak out—we strike a blow against freedom and decency and justice.”
1a a. What are human rights? Can you provide any examples?
b. b. What is the Cyrus Cylinder, which human rights did it recognize and why is it important in the history of human
c. What did the Roman Law say about human rights? Can you refer to legislation or key ideas?
4. c. What is stoicism?
1. a. What is Magna Charta and why is it a turning point in the history of human rights? When and where was it signed?
2. b. What is the Petition of Rights? When and where was it signed? What are the key innovations?
LET’S SUM UP!
a. List some new words you have learned
b. List some key events
c. List some key ideas
TERRORIST ATTACK IN NEW YORK
RESTORING THE SISTINE CHAPEL
Watch the news and discuss the topic
TOURISM - LONELY PLANET
Read the article and discuss the topic
MASAIIS and Kenya
Kakenya Ntaiya made a deal with her father: She would undergo a traditional Maasai rite of passage, female circumcision, if he let her go to high school. Ntaiya tells her fearless story
NO MORE Campaign
Watch the news about the campaign https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5ZS3QBSzv8
Here's the commercial with many famous testimonials https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j70ha1PUlqk
Here are some songs to support the campaign
Read, watch and listen to these lessons about Marketing Essentials, then do the exercises about SWOT Analysis, Marketing Mix, Segmentation and Positioning
HOW TO WRITE A BUSINESS REPORT
Read these tips and example and then...
write your effective business report!
After describing your FINDINGS (with graphs and/or visuals if needed),
remember to draw your CONCLUSIONS and give RECOMMENDATIONS
HOW TO WRITE AN EMAIL OF ENQUIRY
CNN 10 - April 19, 2017
BBC - NEWS
Read updated information about Brexit and the relationship between the UK and the European Union
IKEA CASE STUDY
SWOT Analysis and sustainable business planning
NIVEA FOR MEN - Marketing Plan
Read about Primark and discuss their ethics and the case studies
ENGAGING WITH STAKEHOLDERS
THE SCOURGE OF CHILD LABOUR (Listening Comprehension)
CHARLES DICKENS, VICTORIAN BRITAIN AND OLIVER TWIST
Charles Dickens fact file
Born in... on...
His private life
His working experience before writing
His writing experience
And his main novels
7 curious facts
DUCKSTERS: EDUCATION SITE
LEARN MORE ABOUT DIFFERENT TOPICS AND SUBJECTS!
LEARN IN ENGLISH!
BBC NEWSBEAT EXPLAINS
Read the news from BBC in an innovative format
CNN STUDENT NEWS TO BE ALWAYS UPDATED!!
Watch the videos and read the news from the US
PRESIDENTIAL ELECTIONS IN THE US
How to understand US elections (BBC)
Listen to the news and learn more about the presedential debates and the different points of view of the candidates
How Does The President Get Elected?
How will Americans vote?
UK and US political systems
Watch the videos and learn more about British and American government and politics
THE BRITISH AND THE US ELECTORAL SYSTEMS
English in the world, one of the lessons shared by TED EDUCATION
3. THE CHAMP'S BIRTHMARK
The story behind Drew Brees' birthmark, and why he'll never get it removed
Read the article and then watch the interview
What's a birthmark? Why can this be a problem?
Read the story of Drew Brees and answer the questions
1. How old is he? How tall and heavy is he? (in cms and kgs)
2. What does he do?
3. What did Oprah (one of the most popular anchorwomen in the US) do and say when she first met him?
4. Why was his birthmark a problem for Drew before he became famous?
5. When he was rich and popular he had to make a choice. What did he choose to do and why?
6. What's his message to kids, teenagers and people in general?
7. How have his fans reacted?
8. Now watch the video, what strikes you the most?
4. BRITAIN'S GOT TALENT
Here is the video of the audition of one of the participants to Britain's got Talent UK, her name is Susan Boyle.
Part one: Watch the first part of the video as many times as you need, choose if you need to enable the subtitles or not.
1. How old is Susan Boyle?
2. What does she do?
3. Where does she live?
4. Is she married?
5. What's her dream?
Now look at the judges and the audience BEFORE her performance…
6. What do you think they are feeling and thinking?
Part two: Watch and listen to her performance
7. Is she good at singing? Is this a surprise? Why/Why not?
8. What do the judges decide? Do they all agree?
9. One of the comments to the video says something like‘Never judge a book by its cover’ Can you explain why?
10. Why has she become so popular all over the world in your opinion?
What happend to Susan Boyle after the TV programme? Find out below
BTW ... Has she managed to made her dream come true?
5. TE PUKE HIGH SCHOOL
WEB QUEST: Surf the website of this school and answer the questions
1. Where is the school? Look for a map and find out
2. How old are the students? Are they all from the same country?
3. What are the four key ideas in this school? How have they decided to represent them?
4. What are the houses and what are they named after? Why are Houses relevant in this school?
5. Do students have to wear a uniform? What does it look like?
6. What's the difference between Curriculum and Co-Curriculum? What subject do students your age study in this school?
7. http://www.tphs.school.nz/?ref=Student%20Voice Listen to students talking... choose one of them and sum up what he/she says
8. Would you like to go to this school? WhyWhy not?
Read the article and watch the video, then answer the questions. Sum up the whole story in about 60-70 words using the following key words
1. What was the problem in Uckfield, East Sussex on 14 July 2015?2.
2. Who tried to help the baby at first? Where
they successful? Why?/Why not?
3. Who arrived and how did he sort out the problem?
4. How does he feel now?